Are you ever at a loss as to how to eat better? How are you supposed to cram those servings of fruits or vegetables in each day? What can it look like to eat more whole, fresh foods? Well, look no further than the Good Bowl. It's your own creative palette that can change flavors and colors by the day! The Good Bowl uses an easy stepwise formula and can be thrown together for a quick and nourishing lunch or boxed up to take to work. Mix and match your favorite foods and flavors; it's limited only by your imagination, so get to creating!
STEPS to a Good Bowl
- A dinner-sized shallow bowl
- A handful of greens (pre-washed, bagged kale, mixed greens, spinach, spring mix)
- A scoop of cooked grains (I like frozen, pre-cooked brown rice, white rice, or quinoa, which is easy to heat up in the microwave)
- A quick protein (leftover poultry, meats, or fish; canned beans, canned tuna or salmon, etc.)
- A couple of handfuls of colorful, chopped raw or cooked fruits or veggies (tricolor slaw mix, chopped peppers, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, leftover roasted vegetables, chopped apples)
- A small amount of healthy fats (chopped avocado, toasted nuts or seeds, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil)
- A burst of bright flavor (a squeeze of citrus, a bright vinaigrette, a spoonful of salsa, a drizzle of Sriracha, a crumble of goat cheese or feta, hummus, tzatziki)
- Fresh or dried herbs and spices (certainly salt and pepper, but also cumin, cilantro, parsley, oregano, or one of my favorites, Za'atar)
Here's a quick collection of my favorite Good Bowls. Look at all of those beautiful colors! Each took less than 10 minutes to prepare from start to finish by mainly using leftovers. Share your #GoodBowls on the Stepwise Health Facebook Page and let us know what you're creating!